This project is one that I have wanted to tackle for a long time and just haven't. There is no reason other than I just haven't. Yesterday I took the plunge and stopped at our local hardware store and picked up a couple of salvage boards for $2.00 a piece. You can't go wrong with that price!! I grabbed some gel stain, rubber gloves, an old sock, and some paint. I stained the wood first and let that dry. Secondly I used a dry foam brush and brushed on the Great Gray paint I wanted, leaving it rather roughly dry painted. After that sanded it down and sealed it with a clear coat. I am happy with the results and can't wait to add vinyl to it!