Distress Oxide Painting

Happy Crafty Sunday! I had the opportunity to play with some of my distress oxides yesterday, and I did a technique that I have wanted to do a for a while but just never did... Distress Oxide water Painting. The pictures don't do justice but you can see the idea. I started by taking a 4.5"x5.5" piece of Bristol Smooth cardstock where I used my anti stick powder and went over the whole thing. Next I used the doily from the Kaisercraft "Ubud Dreams" stamp set and inked it with versamark and heat embossed with white powder. When that was done, I inked the whole panel heavily, with Peacock Feathers Distress Oxide Ink .


Once the panel was inked heavily over the stamped and embossed image, I took a paper towel and wiped away the excess ink off the white embossed image. Next I took my waterbrush and figured out where I wanted a lighter part of the stamped image and started to apply a lot of water in those areas. I used my heat gun to dry the water making those areas lighter in color. That is why it is so important to ink the panel heavily. 


This is a close up of the image when done with the waterbrush. If you look closely, you can see a lighter image just inside the stamp then a bit further in and towards the inside circle. You can really see the results better in person but I tried to capture it the best I could. It is really pretty! 


To finish off the card panel, I die cut it with a scalloped rectangle. Then, I actually messed up! Yes, I messed up. I decided to still show it because everyone makes mistakes and I was playing and sometimes it works and sometimes it flops. I wanted the sentiment to be subtle so I stamped it with versamark and embossed with clear embossing powder. You can see it but it is not very prominent at all. I decided to go with it and left it. I finished the card off with some clear rhinestone jewels.


And there you have it. A subtle but pretty way to use distress oxides. There is no right or wrong way to using these inks and the possibilities are endless. There are so many techniques and ways to use these versatile inks. I encourage you to check out youtube for some videos on other techniques! 

Comments

Popular Posts